Connect with us

Belfast City

City Hall Going Dark to Mark 80th Anniversary of the Blitz

City Hall will go dark this Thursday evening to mark the 80th anniversary of the Belfast Blitz.

Homes across Belfast will be able to see two searchlights in the night sky, being beamed from the grounds of City Hall around 9pm.

Belfast Lord Mayor Alderman Frank McCoubrey said it was appropriate for the city to pause and reflect on what is a significant anniversary.

“The Belfast Blitz in 1941 was a major event in the city’s history. It had a devastating impact, not only in terms of the tragic loss of life, but also leaving thousands of people without a home,” said Alderman McCoubrey.

“Some of our older generation will still have vivid memories of the Blitz; stories of bravery, hardship and survival. It’s important that we continue to remember this part of our city’s history and educate our younger generations, to help them understand the impact the Second World War had on Belfast and its people.”

World-famous Shipyards

Belfast’s world-famous shipyards that were contributing to Britain’s war efforts, made it a legitimate target for the Luftwaffe. The Belfast Blitz was the worst wartime raid outside of London, in the UK.

In total, around 1,000 people lost their lives when German bombers shelled the city over a number of nights in April and May, 1941. The devastation was so great that it also left 100,000 people homeless.

Alderman McCoubrey added: “The east wing of City Hall was extensively damaged, with The Great Hall bearing the brunt of the damage. The Lord Mayor at that time had the foresight to request the removal of the stained glass windows and they were stored in the basement of Mount Panther House in Co Down. Remarkably the ones in The Great Hall today are the original windows.”

A piece of shrapnel, believed to have come from the incendiary device that struck City Hall, is on display at the building as part of its visitor exhibition. The iron spike was found in the central courtyard of the building on the morning following the bombing.

The Lord Mayor will also lay wreaths at City Cemetery and Milltown Cemetery earlier in the day on Thursday 15 April at short ceremonies organised by the NI War Museum, in line with current Covid19 restrictions.

Belfast City

NIEA Sign Ambitious Prosperity Agreement with Belfast Harbour

Pictured at the RSPB’s ‘Window on Wildlife’, Belfast, are (from left-right) David Dobbin, Chairman, Belfast Harbour, Joe O’Neill, Chief Executive, Belfast Harbour and Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA. Photo Credit: William Cherry PressEye

Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA has signed a wide-ranging and ambitious three year Prosperity Agreement between Belfast Harbour and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA).

The agreement will see the Harbour commit to reducing CO2 emissions, reducing waste, improving air and water quality and enhancing both terrestrial and marine biodiversity.

Speaking about the 11th Prosperity Agreement signed by the NIEA, the Minister said: “This is a very ambitious agreement which is an excellent example of Green Growth in action where business can grow and prosper while creating tangible environmental improvements including reducing carbon, waste and water usage.

“The agreement will see Belfast Harbour aim for a net zero target by 2030, improve biodiversity, improve air and water quality, reduce waste and aim for zero waste to landfill. This Prosperity Agreement will also see a benefit to the marine environment and I am delighted that my officials in DAERA will work even more closely with the Harbour to enhance the marine and terrestrial habitats on their 2,000 acre site.

“Belfast Harbour will invest in environmentally friendly and renewable technologies, develop its own energy, air and sustainable procurement strategies and encourage its staff, tenants and port clients to adopt more sustainable transport and resource usage practices.”

Pictured at the RSPB’s ‘Window on Wildlife’, Belfast, are (from left-right) David Dobbin, Chairman, Belfast Harbour, Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA, Joe O’Neill, Chief Executive, Belfast Harbour and Gregory Woulahan, RSPB.
Photo Credit: William Cherry PressEye

David Dobbin, Chairman Belfast Harbour said: “Belfast Harbour’s commitment to building a truly sustainable, clean, green Port is core to our Trust Port purpose. As we operate, maintain and improve our Port and Harbour Estate, our ambition is to achieve net zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2030, to reduce pollution, and to protect and enhance our natural environment and marine diversity. 

“Work to deliver this is already well underway, as we introduce electric vehicles, develop our use of renewable energy, instigate studies to better understand our marine diversity and embed sustainable development across our 2,000 acre Harbour Estate.

“We are delighted to partner with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency as we accelerate and deliver our sustainability goals. We recognise that through coalition and partnership, together we can achieve so much more. By putting people, place and the environment at the heart of our sustainable business model, Belfast Harbour is developing a clean, green port, where people and planet thrive.”

Joanne Sherwood, RSPB NI Director, added: “There has never been a more important time to invest in the protection and restoration of nature. The pandemic has served as a reminder that our economy and the health of society are dependent on a flourishing natural world: decisions taken now will have a major impact for many years to come so we welcome this commitment from Belfast Harbour.”

The Minister concluded: “It is very fitting that we are signing this agreement at the RSPB Belfast’s Window on Wildlife. This is symbolic, and demonstrates Belfast Harbour’s commitment to placing the environment and sustainability at the centre of their business and I am pleased that my Department will be working in an even closer partnership with them.

“Many businesses are already thinking green – they are already doing the right thing and reaping the benefits. We want to work with progressive organisations like Belfast Harbour who are committed to sustainable growth while enhancing the environment.”

Continue Reading

Belfast City

Children Asked to Share Ideas for Lord Mayor’s Time Capsule

Young people can send their suggestions to the Lord Mayor’s Office via email rsvp@belfastcity.gov.uk or share their ideas on Council’s social media channels using the hashtag #BelfastTimeCapsule

Schoolchildren from across Belfast are being invited to share their ideas on what should be included in a time capsule which will be sealed by the city’s Lord Mayor, to be opened in 100 years.

The project is part of Belfast City Council’s Decade of Centenaries programme and aims to provide a snapshot of life in 2021 for generations to come.

Lord Mayor Alderman Frank McCoubrey has himself chosen a number of items to include in the time capsule, including a NI women’s football shirt and  a special medallion to mark the centenary of the formation of Northern Ireland.

“This year marks a hugely significant milestone in Northern Ireland’s history, marking 100 years since the first Northern Ireland Parliament was opened,” said Alderman McCoubrey.

“While this milestone will mean different things for different people, Council’s Decade of Centenaries programme aims to provide a space to reflect on key historical moments and events from 1912-1922 that shaped Northern Ireland and Ireland.

“And as we look ahead to the next 100 years and wonder what life might be like then, I thought creating a time capsule would be an interesting way of capturing a little piece of history and preserving it for generations to come, so that they might have an insight into life in the city in 2021

“I’m hoping that young people will provide some inspiration as to what should be included; all suggestions are welcome but we would like it to be something that is particularly relevant to 2021 and the times we are living through.”

Making History

As a huge supporter of the Northern Ireland football team, Alderman McCoubrey said including the women’s team’s football shirt was an easy decision.

“The achievements of the NI women’s football team in  making history and reaching the Euros is something we can all be very proud of,” said Alderman McCoubrey.

“I hope that when this time capsule is opened in 2121 this achievement will be seen as having been something of a turning point for women in sport, and that it is seen to inspire more young women and girls to get involved in competitive sport.”

Belfast City Council was awarded funding from the Shared History Fund, which The National Lottery Heritage Fund is delivering on behalf of the Northern Ireland Office, to deliver a number of projects to mark Northern Ireland’s centenary year, including the Lord Mayor’s time capsule project.

Young people can send their suggestions to the Lord Mayor’s Office via email rsvp@belfastcity.gov.uk or share their ideas on Council’s social media channels using the hashtag #BelfastTimeCapsule

The deadline for suggestions is 4pm on Wednesday 19 May.  All suggestions received will be considered by the Lord Mayor for inclusion in the time capsule which will be stored at City Hall until it is opened in 2121.

Continue Reading